Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program|
The Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) (www.lumcon.edu) and the Management Conference of the Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program (BTNEP) (www.btnep.org) invite applications for the position of Program Director. BTNEP is a unique program of the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency and the State of Louisiana's Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium. The mission of the Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program (BTNEP) is the preservation and restoration of the Barataria-Terrebonne estuarine system, the 4.2 million acre region between the Atchafalaya and Mississippi Rivers. BTNEP strives to rebuild and protect the estuary for future generations through the implementation of a Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan, a science-based, consensus-driven plan that utilizes partnerships focused on the estuary's rich cultural, economic, and natural resources. The Program Director serves as the principal spokesperson and advocate for BTNEP and provides overall direction to a professional program staff of 10 to ensure adherence to program goals and objectives. The ideal BTNEP Program Director should have an understanding of water quality, wetlands ecology and processes, fish and wildlife, as well as the socio-economic aspects of the region. The ideal Program Director should also be effective at facilitating groups of scientists, educators, resource managers, and industry representatives and have the ability to guide these groups to a consensus-based decision.
- Provides aggressive leadership, direction and consonance in the development and implementation of policies, plans, and programs which provide a balance between development and conservation, in accordance with the CCMP.
- Provide support to the Chair of the BTNEP Management Conference. Work closely with Management Conference members, legislators, and agencies to facilitate and coordinate implementation of the Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP).
- Oversees the development and implementation of project proposals consistent with the CCMP for funding through various state and federal programs.
- Represents BTNEP at annual meetings of the EPA and the Association of National Estuary Programs.
- Represent BTNEP on state, national, and international boards and committees and serve as principal spokesperson for BTNEP at public events, to the media, and to local, state, and national legislators and officials.
- Responsible for securing funds for project implementation and financial management of federal, state, local and private funding allocated to the program.
- Recommend programs, formulate policies, and operational plans to the Management Conference to carry out the established goals of the Program.
- Recommend modifications to the CCMP to the Management Conference when conditions warrant.
- Oversees and manages major program activities including, but not limited to: Formal Education, Public Education and Outreach, Invasive Species, Water Quality, Plant Material propagation, Public Involvement, and other Scientific/Technical programs.
- Oversee the development of an annual work plan, management of contracts, preparation of grant applications, and compliance with reporting requirements and purchasing procedures of the State of Louisiana and EPA.
- Directs program staff and assigns work assignments to ensure Program activities are consistent with program goals.
- Seeks opportunities for enhancing education and training for Director and staff..
A minimum of a bachelor's degree, higher level preferred, with a major in a natural or physical science, environmental studies, or related field; minimum of 5-10 years of full-time experience with some of those years being in a management capacity of an environmental or coastal restoration program.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and negotiable based on experience. Full state benefits apply. The position is "unclassified."
Residency within the BTNEP region is highly desirable.
Cover letter, resume, and names of at least three references (with affiliation, email address, and phone number) should be submitted electronically to Heidi Boudreaux, LUMCON Chief Financial Officer (email@example.com) or by mail to Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium, 8124 Louisiana 56, Chauvin, LA 70344. Consideration of applications will begin on September 1, 2014.
Questions related to this vacancy announcement may be directed to Al J. Levron, BTNEP Management Conference Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity/ADA Employer