- Ph.D., 1984, Biological Oceanography
University of Rhode Island
- B.S., 1973, School of Natural Resources
University of Michigan
- B.A., 1973, Biology
Marietta College, Marietta, Ohio
- Fisheries and fish ecology especially as they relate to the early life history or larval stages of fish.
- Culture, foraging behavior, and growth of larval fishes.
- Spawning, larval rearing and propagation of marine fishes for aquaculture.
- Applications of otolith and fish hard part chemistry to fisheries and oceanography.
- Applications of biochemical measures as indicators of condition in fish larvae.
- Use of commercial larval feeds to enhance the growth and survival of fish larvae
- Mercury in marine fish and recreational fishermen
- Statistical and modeling analyses of fishery data to try and understand the effects of hypoxia and other coastal stresses
- Our Changing Coastal Ocean; Fish Ecology
- currently serving on three graduate committees
- William Childress, Research Assistant
- B.S., 2011, Marine BiologyUniversity of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS
- Gothreaux, C.T., R.C. Reigh, M.B. Williams and E.J. Chesney. 2010. Amino acid availability of soybean meal for Florida pompano, North American Journal of Aquaculture. 72(4): 309-313.
- Senn, D.B., E.J. Chesney, J.D. Blum, M.S. Bank, A. Maage and J.P. Shine. 2010. Stable isotope (N, C, Hg) study of methylmercury sources and trophic transer in the northern Gulf of Mexico, Environmental Science and Technology 44: 1630-1637.
- Switzer, T.S., E.J. Chesney and D. Baltz. 2009. Habitat selection by flatfishes in the northern Gulf of Mexico: implications for susceptibility to hypoxia. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 381: S51-S64.
- Riley, K.L., E.J. Chesney and T.R. Tiersch. 2008. Field Collection and refrigerated storage of the sperm of Red Snapper and Gray Snapper. North American Journal of Aquaculture 70: 356-364.
- Chesney, E.J. 2008. Foraging behavior of bay anchovy larvae, Anchoa mitchilli. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 362: 117-124.
- Bank, M. S. Chesney, E. J., Shine, J. P., Maage, A. and D. B. Senn. 2007. Mercury bioaccumulation and trophic transfer in sympatric snapper species from the Gulf of Mexico. Ecological Applications. 17(7): 2100-2110.
- Switzer, T.S., E.J. Chesney and D.M. Baltz. 2006. Exploring temporal and spatial variability in nekton community structure in the northern Gulf of Mexico: unraveling the potential influence of hypoxia. Proceedings of the Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute 57:699-716
- Weirich, C. R., D. R. Groat, R. C. Reigh, E. J. Chesney and R. F. Malone. 2006. Effect of Feeding strategies on production characteristics and body composition of Florida pompano Trachinotus carolinus reared in closed marine recirculating systems. North American Journal of Aquaculture. 68:330-338.
- Baltz, D.M. and E.J. Chesney. 2005. Evaluating sublethal effects of exposure to petroleum additives on fishes associated with offshore platforms. Coastal Marine Institute, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. OCS Study, MMS 2005-054.
- Stead, M. A., D. M. Baltz, E. J. Chesney, M. A. Tarr, A. S. Kolok, and B. D. Marx. 2005. Swimming Performance of Juvenile Florida Pompano Exposed to Ethylene Glycol and Methanol: Synergistic Effects. T. Am. Fish. Soc. 134: 1438–1447.
- Chesney, E. J. 2005. Copepods as live prey: A review of factors that influence the feeding success of marine fish larvae, p. 133–150. In C. S. Lee, P. O’Bryen and N. Marcus (eds.), Copepods in Aquaculture. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, Iowa.
- Riley, K. L., C. G. Holladay, E. J. Chesney and T. R. Tiersch. 2004. Cryopreservation of sperm of red snapper, Lutjanus campechanus. J. Aquac. 238: 183-194.
- Baltz, D. M., R. G. Thomas and E. J., Chesney 2003. Spotted seatrout habitat affinities in Louisiana, pp. 147-175, In: Biology of the Spotted Seatrout, S. A. Bortone, ed., CRC press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Baltz, D. M., R. G. Thomas and E. J. Chesney. 2003. Spotted Seatrout habitat affinities in Louisiana, p. 147–175. In S. A. Bortone (ed.), Biology of the Spotted Seatrout. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press.
- Hymel, M. K., D. M. Baltz, E. J. Chesney, M. A. Tarr, and A. S. Kolak. 2002. Swimming performance of juvenile Florida pompano exposed to ethylene glycol. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 131: 1152–1163.
- Chesney, E. J. and D. M. Baltz, 2001. The Effects of Hypoxia on the Northern Gulf of Mexico Coastal Ecosystem: A Fisheries Perspective. Pp. 321-354 In: Nancy N. Rabalais and R. Eugene Turner (eds.), Coastal Hypoxia: Consequences for Living Resources and Ecosystems. Coastal and Estuarine Studies 58, American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C.
- Chesney, E. J., D. M. Baltz and R. G. Thomas, 2000. Louisiana estuarine and coastal fisheries and habitats: Perspectives from a fish's eye view. Ecological Applications, 10(2):350-366.
- Chesney, E. J., B. McKee, L.-Heung Chan, T. Blanchard, 1998: "Chemistry of otoliths from Juvenile menhaden, Brevoortia Patronus: Evaluating strontium, strontium:calcium and strontium isotope ratios as environmental indicators." Marine Ecology . Progress Series 171: 261-273.
- Secor, D. H., E. J. Chesney 1998, "Summary of a workshop: Otolith microconstituent analysis of Atlantic bluefin tuna." International Council for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas, Collective Volume of Scientific Papers. Vol. XLVIII. (1): 51-58.
- Lincoln, R. A., J.P. Shine, E.J. Chesney, D.J. Vorhees, P. Grandjean and D.B. Senn. (InPress). Fish consumption and mercury exposure among Louisiana recreational anglers. Environmental Helth Perspectives (accepted July 29, 2010).