- Ph.D., 1983, Zoology
The University of Texas, Austin, TX
- M.S., 1975, Biology
Texas A & I University, Kingsville
- B.S., 1972, Biology
Texas A & I University, Kingsville
- Biological oceanography-continental shelf ecosystems influenced by large rivers; distribution, dynamics and effects of hypoxia
- Estuarine and benthic ecology
- Integration of science and policy
- Aquatic ecology
- Benthic processes
- Coastal Change, Eutrophication and Hypoxia
- Cumulative Coastal Stressors
- Historical Reconstruction of Ecosystem Changes from Sediments
- Pelagic and Benthic Processes in Continental Shelf Hypoxic Area
- Biological Oceanography
- Changing Coastal Oceans
- Wendy Morrison, Senior Research Associate
- B.S., 1987, BiologyUniversity of Louisiana Monroe , Monroe, Louisiana
- Lora Pride, Research Associate/ Dive Safety Officer (part-time)
- B.S., 1997, Biology (Marine Sciences), Chemistry MinorSalisbury University , Salisbury, MD
- Amanda Fontenot, Environmental Monitoring Technician
- Jenn Lasseigne, Graduate Research Assistant, Ph.D. Candidate
- B.S., 2002, Marine BiologyNicholls State University, Thibodaux, LA
- M.S., 2006, Marine and Environmental BiologyNicholls State University, Thibodaux, LA
- Elizabeth Robinson, Ph.D. student
- B.S., 2008, BiologyCentenary College, Shreveport, LA
- M.S., 2010, Biology/Marine BiologyTexas A & M University, Corpus Christi, TX
- Rabalais, N. N. 2010. Eutrophication of estuarine and coastal ecosystems. Pp. 115-135 in R. Mitchell and J.-D. Gu (eds.), Environmental Microbiology, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Grippo, M., J. W. Fleeger, N. N. Rabalais, R. Condrey and K. R. Carman. 2010. Contribution of phytoplankton and benthic microalgae to inner shelf sediments of the north-central Gulf of Mexico. Continental Shelf Research 30: 456-466.
- Rabalais, N. N., R. J. Diaz, L. A. Levin, R. E. Turner, D. Gilbert and J. Zhang. 2010. Dynamics and distribution of natural and human-caused coastal hypoxia. Biogeosciences 7: 585-619.
- Quinones-Rivera, Z. J., B. Wissel, N. N. Rabalais and D. Justic. 2010. Effects of biological and physical factors on seasonal oxygen dynamics in a stratified, eutrophic coastal ecosystem. Limnology and Oceanography 55: 289-304.
- Gilbert, D., N.N. Rabalais, R.J. Diaz and J. Zhang. 2010. Evicence for greater oxygen decline rates in the coastal ocean than in the open ocean. Biogeosciences 7:2283-2296.
- Wong, W.-H., N.N. Rabalais and R. E. Turner. 2010. Abundance and ecological significance of the clam Rangia cuneata (Sowerby, 1831) in the upper Barataria Estuary (Louisiana, USA), Hydrobiologia 651: 305-315.
- Zhang, J., D. Gilbert, A.J. Gooday, L. Levin, S.W.A. Naqvi, J.J. Middelburg, M. Scranton, W. Ekau, A.Pena, B. Dewitte, T. Oguz, P.M.S. Monteiro, E. Urban, N.N. Rabalais, V. Ittekot, W.M. Kemp, O.Ulloa, R. Elmgren, E. Escobar-Briones, and A.K. Van der Plas. 2010. Natural and human-induced hypoxia and consequences for coastal areas: synthesis and future development. Biogeosciences 7: 1443-1467.
- Ren, L., N.N. Rabalais, W. Morrison, W. Mendenhall, R. E. Turner. 2009. Nutrient limitation on phytoplankton growth in upper Barataria Basin, Louisiana: Microcosm bioassays. Estuaries and Coasts 32: 958-974.
- Baustian, M.M., Craig, J.K. and N.N. Rabalais. 2009. Effects of summer 2003 hypoxia on macrobenthos and Atlantic croaker foraging selectivity in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 381: S31-S37.
- Baustian, M. M. and N. N. Rabalais. 2009. Seasonal composition of benthic macroinfauna exposed to hypoxia in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Estuaries and Coasts 32(5): 975-983.
- Levin, L. A., W. Ekau, A. Gooday, F. Jorrisen, J. Middelburg, W. Naqvi, C. Neira, N. N. Rabalais and J. Zhang. 2009. Effects of natural and human-induced hypoxia on coastal benthos. Biogeosciences 6: 2063-2098.
- Gooday, A. J., F. Jorissen, L. A. Levin, J. J. Middelburg, W. Naqvi, N. N. Rabalais, M. Scranton and J. Zhang. 2009. Historical records of coastal eutrophication and hypoxia. Biogeosciences 6: 1707-1745.
- Garcia, A. C., S. Bargu, P. Dash, N. N. Rabalais, M. Sutor, W. Morrison and N. Walker. 2009. Evaluating the potential risk of microcystins to blue crab (Callinectes sapidus) fisheries and human health in a eutrophic estuary. Harmful Algae 9: 134-143.
- Conley, D. J., S. Bjorck, E. Bonsdorff, G. Destouni, B. Gustafsson, S. Hietanen, M. Kortekaas, H. Kuosa, M. Meier, B. Muller-Karulis, K. Nordberg, G. Nurnberg, A. Norkko, H. Pitkanen, N. N. Rabalais, R. Rosenberg, O. Savchuk, C. P. Slomp, M. Voss, F. Wulff and L. Zillen. 2009. Critical Review. Hypoxia-related processes in the Baltic Sea. Environmental Science and Technology.
- Rabalais, N. N., R. E. Turner, D. Justic, and R. J. Diaz. 2009. Global change and eutrophication of coastal waters. ICES Journal of Marine Science 66: 1528-1537.
- Rabalais, N. N. and D. Gilbert. 2008. Distribution and consequences of hypoxia. Chapter 11, pp. 209-225 in E. R. Urban, Bjorn Sundby, P. Malanotte-Rizzoli, and Jerry Milello (eds.), Watersheds, Bays, and Bounded Seas: The Science and Management of Semi-Enclosed Marine Systems. Island Press, Washington, D.C.
- Turner, R. E., N. N. Rabalais and D. Justic. 2008. Gulf of Mexico hypoxia: alternate states and a legacy. Environmental Science and Technology 42: 2323-2327.
- Rabalais, N. N., R. E. Turner, B. K. Sen Gupta, E. Platon and M. L. Parsons. 2007. Sediments tell the history of eutrophication and hypoxia in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Ecological Applications, Special Issue, Nutrient Enrichment of Estuarine and Coastal Marine Environments 17(5) Supplement: S129-S143.
- Rabalais, N. N., R. E. Turner, B. K. Sen Gupta, D. F. Boesch, P. Chapman, and M. C. Murrell. 2007. Characterization and Long-Term Trends of Hypoxia in the Northern Gulf of Mexico: Does the Science Support the Action Plan? Estuaries and Coasts 30(5): 753-772.
- Turner, R. E., N. N. Rabalais, D. Scavia and G. F. McIsaac. 2007. Corn Belt landscapes and hypoxia of the Gulf of Mexico. In J. I. Nassauer, M. V. Santelmann and D. Scavia (eds.) From the Corn Belt to the Gulf. Ecological and Societal Implications of Alternative Agricultural Futures, Resources for the Future Press, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Turner, R. E., N. N. Rabalais, R. B. Alexander, G. McIsaac and R. W. Howarth. 2007. Characterization of nutrient, organic carbon and sediment loads from the Mississippi River into the northern Gulf of Mexico. Estuaries and Coasts 30(5): 773-790.
- Turner, R. E., N. N. Rabalais and D. Justic. 2006. Predicting summer hypoxia in the northern Gulf of Mexico: riverine N, P and Si loading. Marine Pollution Bulletin 52: 139-148.
- Walker, N.D. and N.N. Rabalais. 2006. Relationships among Satellite Chlorophyll a, River Inputs and Hypoxia on the Louisiana Continental Shelf, Gulf of Mexico. Estuaries and Coasts 29(6B): 1081-1093.
- Parsons, M.L., Q. Dortch, R.E. Turner and N.N. Rabalais. 2006. Reconstructing the development of eutrophication in Louisiana salt marshes. Limn. Ocean. 51(1, part 2): 534-544.
- Rabalais, N.N. and R.E. Turner. 2006. Oxygen depletion in the Gulf of Mexico adjacent to the Mississippi River. Pages 225-245 in L. N. Neretin, ed., Past and Present Marine Water Column Anoxia. NATO Science Series: IV-Earth and Environmental Sciences, Kluwer.
- Platon, E., B. K. Sen Gupta, N. N. Rabalais, and R. E. Turner. 2005. Effect of seasonal hypoxia on the benthic foraminiferal community of the Louisiana inner continental shelf: The 20th century record. Mar. Micropal. 54: 263-283.
- Turner, R. E., N. N. Rabalais, E. M. Swenson, M. Kasprzak and T. Romaire. 2005. Summer hypoxia in the northern Gulf of Mexico and its prediction from 1978 to 1995. Marine Environmental Research 59: 65-77.
- Justic, D., N. N. Rabalais and R. E. Turner. 2005. Coupling between climate variability and marine coastal eutrophication: historical evidence and future outlook. Journal of Sea Research 54: 25-35.
- Rabalais, N. N., N. Atilla, C. Normandeau and R. E. Turner. 2004. Ecosystem history of Mississippi River-influenced continental shelf revealed through preserved phytoplankton pigments. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 49: 537-547.
- Turner, R. E. and N. N. Rabalais. 2004. Suspended sediment, C, N, P, and Si yields from the Mississippi River Basin. Hydrobiologia 511: 79-89.
- Rabalais, N. N. 2004. Chapter 21: Eutrophication, p. 819-865. In A. R. Robinson, J. McCarthy and B. J. Rothschild (eds.), The Global Coastal Ocean: Multiscale Interdisciplinary Processes, The Sea. Vol. 13, Harvard University Press.
- Justic, D., N. N. Rabalais, and R. E. Turner. 2003. Simulated responses of the Gulf of Mexico hypoxia to variations in climate and anthropogenic nutrient loading. J. Mar. Syst. 42: 115-126.
- Turner, R. E., N. N. Rabalais, D. Justic and Q. Dortch. 2003. Global patterns of dissolved N, P and Si in large rivers. Biogeochemistry 64: 297-317.
- Turner, R. E. and N. N. Rabalais. 2003. Linking landscape and water quality in the Mississippi River basin for 200 years. BioScience 53: 563-572.
- Justic, D., R. E. Turner, and N. N. Rabalais. 2003. Climatic influences on riverine nitrate flux: Implications for coastal marine eutrophication and hypoxia. Estuaries 26: 1-11.
- Rabalais, N. N., R. E. Turner, and D. Scavia. 2002. Beyond science into policy: Gulf of Mexico hypoxia and the Mississippi River. BioScience 52: 129-142.
- Rabalais, N. N. 2002. Nitrogen in aquatic ecosystems. Ambio 31(2): 102-112.
- Rabalais, N. N., R. E. Turner, and W. J. Wiseman, Jr. 2002. Hypoxia in the Gulf of Mexico, a.k.a. "The Dead Zone." Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33: 235-263.
- Rabalais, N. N., R. E. Turner, Q. Dortch, D. Justic, V. J. Bierman, Jr. and W. J. Wiseman, Jr. 2002. Review. Nutrient-enhanced productivity in the northern Gulf of Mexico: past, present and future. Hydrobiologia 475/476: 39-63.
- Rabalais, N. N. and R. E. Turner (eds.). 2001. Coastal Hypoxia: Consequences for Living Resources and Ecosystems. Coastal and Estuarine Studies 58, American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C.
- Rabalais, N. N. and R. E. Turner. 2001. Hypoxia in the Northern Gulf of Mexico: Description, causes and change. Pp 1-36 in N. N. Rabalais and R. E. Turner (eds.), Coastal Hypoxia: Consequences for Living Resources and Ecosystems. Coastal and Estuarine Studies 58, American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C.
- Parsons, M. L., Q. Dortch, R. E. Turner and N. N. Rabalais. 1999. Salinity reconstructions utilizing diatom remains in recent sediments of coastal marsh environments. Estuaries 22(4): 1078-1089.
- Turner, R. E., N. Qureshi, N. N. Rabalais, Q. Dortch, D. Justic, R. F. Shaw and J. Cope. 1998. Fluctuating silicate:nitrate ratios and coastal plankton food webs. Proceedings National Academy of Science, USA 95:13048-13051.
- Rabalais, N. N. 1998 (on-line). Oxygen Depletion in Coastal Waters. In NOAA's State of the Coast Report. National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration, Silver Spring, Maryland. [pdf]
- Rabalais, N. N. R. E. Turner, W. J. Wiseman, Jr. and Q. Dortch. 1998. Consequences of the 1993 Mississippi River Flood in the Gulf of Mexico. Regulated Rivers: Research and Management 14: 161-177.
- Justic, D., N. N. Rabalais and R. E. Turner. 1997. Impacts of climate change on net productivity of coastal waters: Implications for carbon budget and hypoxia. Climate Research 8: 225-237.
- Dortch, Q., R. Robichaux, S. Pool, D. Milsted, G. Mire, N. N. Rabalais, T. M. Soniate, G. A. Fryxell, R. E. Turner and M.L. Parsons. 1997. Abundance and vertical flux of Pseudonitzschia in the northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Ecology Progress Series 146: 249-264.
- Rabalais, N. N., R. E. Turner, D. Justic, Q. Dortch, W. J. Wiseman, Jr. and B. K. Sen Gupta. 1996. Nutrient changes in the Mississippi River and system responses on the adjacent continental shelf. Estuaries 19(2B): 386-407.
- Sen Gupta, B. K., R. E. Turner, and N. N. Rabalais. 1996. Seasonal oxygen depletion in continental-shelf waters of Louisiana: Historical record of benthic foraminifers. Geology 24(3): 227-230.
- Justic, D., N. N. Rabalais, and R. E. Turner. 1996. Effects of climate change on hypoxia in coastal waters: a doubled CO2 scenario for the northern Gulf of Mexico. Limnology and Oceanography 41(5): 992-1003.
- Rabalais, N. N., W. J. Wiseman, Jr. and R. E. Turner. 1994. Comparison of continuous records of near-bottom dissolved oxygen from the hypoxia zone along the Louisiana coast. Estuaries 17(4): 850-861.
- Turner, R. E. and N. N. Rabalais. 1994. Coastal eutrophication near the Mississippi river delta. Nature 368: 619-621.
- Turner, R. E. and N. N. Rabalais. 1991. Changes in Mississippi River water quality this century and implications for coastal food webs. BioScience 41(3): 140-147.
- Boesch, D. F. and N. N. Rabalais (eds.). 1987. Long-Term Environmental Effects of Offshore Oil and Gas Development. Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, London, 696 p.