- Ph.D., 1977, Ecology and Evolution
State University of New York at Stony Brook
- B.A., 1970, Biology
Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
- Larval dispersal and recruitment processes in corals, particularly as they pertain to the continuum from highly localized dispersal and recruitment to distant dispersal
- Coral bleaching, adaptation / exaptation in scleractinian corals to bleaching, zooxanthellar evolution, prediction of bleaching via seawater temperature
- Distribution and abundance of scleractinian corals in the northern Gulf of Mexico
- Effects of oil and gas platforms in the northern Gulf of Mexico on biogenographic expansion of scleractinian corals there
- Distribution and abundance of corals on toppled 'Rigs-to-Reefs' artificial reef structures in the northern Gulf of Mexico, using ROV's
- Reef regeneration processes, including coral and sea urchin population restoration procedures
- Molecular genetics of scleractinian corals, particularly fine-scale population genetics using AFLP's
- Invasive species in the norther Gulf of Mexico
- Effects of nutrient enrichment/phosphates on coral growth and density
- Environmental bioindicators of coral reef ecosystem health
- Environmental policy / science policy - using current scientific knowledge to mold present and future environmental policy
- "Deep-Water Coral Distribution and Abundance on Active Offshore Oil and Gas Platforms and Decommissioned 'Rigs-to-Reefs' Platforms", US Dept. Interior, Minerals Management Service
- "Determining the Geographical Extent, Maximum Depth, and Genetic Affinities of Corals on Offshore Oil and Gas Platforms, northern Gulf of Mexico", US Dept. Interior, Minerals Management Service
- Coral Reef Ecology
- Changes in Coastal Oceans
- Scientific Writing
- Identification of Caribbean Coral Spat
- Dan Beltz, Research Assistant
- B.S., 2007, Aerospace EngineeringEmbry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, FL
- Sammarco, Paul 2010. Effects of Natural Gas Pipeline Condensate and Crude Oil spills, and Comments on Remediation, with emphasis on South Louisiana Salt Marshes[pdf]
- Sammarco, P.W. (in press). Comments on climate change and global warming in a changing world: From indicators to action. Envtl. Bioindicators
- Sammarco, P.W. and K.B. Strychar. (in press). Effects of climate change on coral reefs: Adaptation/Exaptation in corals, evolution in zooxanthellae, and biogeographic shifts. Envtl. Bioindicators
- Strychar, K.B. and P.W. Sammarco. (in press). Exaptation in the host coral Favites complanata (Ehrenberg, 1834; Scleractinia, Faviidae) to increased sea surface temperatures. Proc. 11th Int. Coral Reef Symp., Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Strychar, K.B. and P.W. Sammarco. (in press). Effects of elevated seawater temperatures on the photosynthetic pigments within three scleractinian corals, Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser.
- McClanahan, T., O. Hoegh-Guldberg, R.W. Buddemeier, and P.W. Sammarco. 2008. Trajectory and predictions for coral reefs. In, N. Polunin (ed.), Proc. 5th Int. Conference on the Environment's Future (ICEF), Zurich, Switzerland. EAWAG.
- Sammarco, P.W., A.D. Atchison, D.A. Brazeau, G.S. Boland, S.B. Hartley, and A Lirette. 2008. Distribution, abundance, and genetics of corals throughout the N. Gulf of Mexico: The world's largest coral settlement experiment. Proc. 11th Int. Coral Reef Symposium, Fort Lauderdale, FL, July 2008. Abstract.
- Atchison, A.D., P.W. Sammarco, and D.A. Brazeau. 2008. Genetic connectivity in corals on the Flower Garden Banks and surrounding oil/gas platforms, Gulf of Mexico. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 365: 1-12.
- Sammarco, P.W. 2008.
Journal visibility, self-citation, and reference limits: Influences on impact factor and author performance review. Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics 8: 121-125, doi: 10.3354/esep00095.
- Sammarco, P.W. 2008.
Crises on coral reefs and in coral reef science in the 21st century: The need for a new peer-review system. Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics 8: 108-119.
- Strychar, K.B. and P.W. Sammarco. 2008.
Exaptation in corals to high temperatures: Low concentrations of apoptotic and necrotic cells in host coral tissue under bleaching conditions. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. doi:10.1016/j.jembe.2008.10.021.
- Sammarco, P.W., P. Hallock, J.C. Lang, and R.S. LeGore. 2008.
Environmental bio-Indicators in coral reef ecosystems: The need to align research, monitoring, and environmental regulation. J. Envtl. Bioindicators 2: 35-46.